5.12.2008

swim for it.

Swim season for summer is coming up soon, and I just started to really get excited today! I can't wait to see all my swimmers and my lifeguard friends. The pool has become my summer home over the past seven years, and it's nice to go back there and feel like some things don't change too much...and if they do change, there are so many people there to support you that you'll always have someone there. It's hard to explain why sixteen year olds become my friends over the summer without sounding weird, but they're cool kids. It's not like we're best buds or anything, but I love working with them. I feel like a mentor to them at times, and I think it's really cool to watch them grow up. We've been teammates and co-workers for seven years, and both of those experiences bond people; they're so fun and ridiculous. One guy always has pancake eating contests with himself...one time he tried to eat an entire plate of IHOP french toast (with strawberries) in three minutes. He ended up in the bathroom haha. I guess maybe I just like feeling like a kid again. Maybe I just feel like these people have seen my summer life for the past seven summers and understand me at home better than any of my high school (and now college) friends who aren't around me much anymore at home. I don't care if it sounds sketch, cause it's not. These guys are awesome, and I'm proud to call them my friends!

I love working with the little ones, too. It's so rewarding to watch a kid who I had to jump in after the first practice swim an entire 25 at the end of the season and learn to love swimming as much as I do. It's crazy how one little decision can have such a huge affect on life. I didn't even want to do swim team. I was SO afraid of people looking at me and not fitting in...I even screwed up my first event ever because I was so nervous and I cried in front of everyone. I kept going, though, and found something I never expected to find: a passion for coaching and swimming. I love it. :)

Summer definitely does make me happier. I can't wait until arranging is OVER and I can be at home with everyone for good. I miss my family, too. Mother's Day was yesterday, and it made me sad that the only contact I had with my mom was through the phone. Oh well...soon enough, I'll be home. I can't wait. At all. :)

I think I'm going into work early to swim some slow laps...I just need to be in the water today, and not for a crazy workout before I have to stand up for six hours...just to relax and chill out. I love water. I love the sound of swimming...I love not hearing anything in the water but the rush of the water around your ears. It's so awesome. I love the feeling of the water...it's so refreshing and smooth (haha sounds like I'm talking about a beer).

Besides music, swimming's my second passion. :) I'm so happy I was lucky enough to stumble upon it. Things totally happen for reasons...whether we realize it or not at the time is another story. Makes me feel a little more optimistic about things. :)




1 comment:

theplumtree said...

oh you swimmer, you :) I miss you julieeeeeee