I thought about my students yesterday and their cursive writing. They have workbooks that they practice in and I check off their pages before they can move on. This one boy always comes up to me and says "I did my best!" and acts proud of himself but still sort of shrugs it off...I don't know. I can't explain his attitude...but he inspires me. Yesterday, I taught cursive (yay--it's getting better!!) and then was checking off pages...and at least 3 kids said to me "I did my best." I'm in a position where I'm expected to critique their work, and generally I always seek to give them some kind of feedback that's positive and some constructive criticism...but how much is this like a metaphor for life?
I'm always so hard on myself. I'm always seeking out ways to make my life better, but really, it's slowly killing me inside. I'm much better about it, and in the last few days, I've even believed in myself when others didn't and told me I wasn't good enough (and yes, that was actually said to me). These kids come to me and just say "I did my best" and are happy with that effort...not criticizing it or saying it's not good enough. I love being a teacher because the students teach me as much about life and myself as I teach them. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment