3.21.2008

things that make you go hmmmmm.

I'm home for Easter Weekend. I'm watching the NCAA tourney and finally have some time to write. The first week back from Spring Break was busy, but no moreso than usual. The concert season is upon us in the music department, and a record number of recitals are being held. Monday was Capaldo's recital, and last night was an Indian music ensemble...which was INCREDIBLE. I had never heard Indian music live...but ohhhh my goshhh!!! It was an amazing experience; very calming, relaxing, and moving. It would have been perfect, BUT it was put on by LP...meaning many of the people there had to be there for a class. The auditorium was pretty packed at the beginning, but even thirty minutes into the concert, people were standing up and leaving...IN THE MIDDLE OF PIECES. Like, making entire rows of people stand up and leaving out of the middle of rows, doors clanking, people talking, falling asleep, texting, and just being totally inconsiderate. By the end of the performance, half the audience had left (not an exaggeration...). I was so angry. This was one of the most incredible music experiences I've ever been a part of or attended, and because it wasn't mainstream music that people had heard before and wasn't a shorter concert, people couldn't wait it out. The artists apparently were hard to get to LU, so I was even more upset at the actions of students. It was a Thursday night, so I'm sure people came so they could say they came and then left so they could drink.

Moral of the story: I feel more and more that people are ethnocentric...(I think that's the right word...) and are so oblivious to things outside their own little worlds. This was not something people hear every day...Indian musicians FROM INDIA who are extremely talented and who actually took the time to explain what they did on stage. I think something's seriously wrong when people would rather get drunk than go and experience something new. Expand your horizons! Take the FREE opportunities while we can get them!! This probably would have cost 25 or 50 dollars at any other venue...but we got to experience it AND get explanations for free. I'm still pretty disgusted at the way people acted. RESPECT. ETIQUETTE. OPEN-MINDEDNESS!!!!

There are a lot of other things going on that I'm really not happy about, but I'm not going to say anything about those specifically. Overall, I just feel a general apathy and lack of respect has characterized my week. I wish everyone would just live like they're not the only people on Earth. I feel bad for ranting so much, but it's just boiling up inside of me...maybe I'm just naive to think that people might actually have true concern for others around them...

I haven't prayed in a while. Maybe I'll start doing that again. I feel helpless...I guess I have to remember I can only control my own actions, and I have to let others control theirs. It'd be really cool if I wasn't such a control freak by nature...blehhhh.

Maybe after this weekend, things will start looking up...I'm tired of all this mess.

No comments: