4.12.2010

beauty in the breakdown.

As a general rule, I've lived my life with the underlying assumption that maintaining a sense of control was a stipulation that had to be met for my happiness.  Without packaging things into little boxes of understanding, I could not find happiness anymore than finding a four-leaf clover on a football field (hmmmm...I'm metaphorically blocked tonight...just go with me).  I lived afraid pretty much every moment.  The unexpected would cause me to go into a panic, unable to control my breathing and my tears at times.  How I ever lived like that, I'll never understand.  Thankfully, I'm in a better place now.  And it's because of "a simple" paradigm shift: it's about the journey, not the destination.

Living a life for the destination is placing all of your bets in one place.  Living for the journey spreads them out, giving you more opportunities for happiness, and eventually, in the end, leaves you with much more than you'd had living the other way and sooner.  The benefits outweigh the risks for me.  It's been a process, and I'm still seeking and learning, but I'm much happier for letting the realization that I'm but a small part of a much bigger thing sink into the very core of my being.

There's my thought for the day. :)  Live simply, and simply live.

No comments: