Swimming competitively has changed my life. I didn't even want to join the swim team...I was terrified of that many people looking at me...but I finally caved and joined at 12. I was hooked! I screwed up my first meet and cried...but I kept trying and, although I rarely win anything or even finish in the top half of the swimmers, I love it more than anything except music and couldn't imagine my life without it. It's opened up career opportunities for me, given me a chance to find myself and challenge my body to see just how far I can go. I've learned that hard work really does tend to pay off. I've also learned what it means to be a good teammate...especially at Longwood.
I absoutely love Longwood's club swim team. The people are diverse, HILARIOUS, and we all care about each other so much. I know they're always there for me, no matter what...and they know I'd do anything for each of them. We see each other half-naked 5 days a week or more, eat together, get sweaty and disgusting together, and we learn more about each other in a year than most people learn in 10. Life as a swimmer is different--you learn to go with the flow (of the water and of life), to appreciate the others you work with, and you learn that encouragement and support are vital to the success of the team...one person succeeding does not equal team success. I can never ever repay those who have helped me along my journey: my coaches and fellow coaches, teammates, and swimmers now that I'm a coach. I've met so many amazing people through swimming. It's incredible how a sport can be such a community-builder.
No comments:
Post a Comment