7.30.2009

do you want a revolution?

This last week was LIFECHANGING for me. Took the FBC Youth to Passport Choices at Wingate University in Wingate, North Carolina. It was honestly the BEST WEEK of my life. I danced every morning with 300+ youth and chaperones...and that might not sound like much, but somehow, doing the Cupid Shuffle, Apache Dance, and dancing to Kirk Franklin's "Revolution" just brought me so much joy. Pure joy. Tuesday night, we all got dressed up and went to an 80s themed dance. We danced around, did the YMCA and Electric Slide, and sang "Don't Stop Believin'" at the top of our lungs while jumping up and down for 30 minutes straight. What is it about that song that transcends years?--adults and youth alike went crazy when those first few piano notes came over the speakers. The last song was "Jump," and we all crouched down to the floor before each chorus and then everyone went NUTS, screaming, jumping, and just letting loose. It was pure joy, unadulterated and wonderful, and I know that God was in that room...dancing around and singing at the top of His lungs, too. :)

The most lifechanging part had to be the change in my mindset/clarity in my spiritual path that I experienced while I was there. I felt God speak to me in very real ways. It was one of the most indescribably awesome feelings I've ever felt! I feel like I was "called" to work with the youth at FBC...on a regular basis...so, I talked to Michael, my youth minister from home and my current minister, and he said that he's been praying since January that someone would feel called to work with the youth. Two weeks ago, we talked about how people are praying prayers right now that each of us can be answering if we are open and willing to hear God speak. It was awesome to know that God had been preparing this for me for a LONG time. I wasn't going to go to camp, but someone else backed out at the last minute. I wasn't going to stay in Farmville til I decided to let go of the Hollymead job. I wouldn't have connected to the youth as well as I did (and with other people for that matter) if I hadn't struggled heavily with my depression. Every single thing in my life has a purpose...I just don't always have the wisdom and vision to see the path. But that's the beautiful thing about God--He does...and God uses whatever decision we make to affect change in the world, as long as it's made in good faith and as a part of our desire to better things and share love.



I am truly blessed. I don't think I can pay for a meal plan next semester, but I don't care. I'm fine. :) I can make my own meals, and I'll find places to connect with the swim team outside of dhall. Sacrifices need to be made so I can graduate, but I'll learn from everything. I'm so excited--about everything.



What are you excited about in your life? :) P.S. I genuinely want to know...leave a comment!

4 comments:

Allyson said...

I am excited for Form and Analysis! I am so excited to learn as much about music as I can this semester and to prep for my senior recital in the spring.

I am MORE excited for our Bible study with Kelsey, and hopefully a few more people as time goes on.

I miss you lots and I am so glad you're feeling so much purpose in your life and that God has called you to serve him in such a direct way. I can't wait to see what He does with your life - it will be spectacular! =)

a sunlit dreaming tree said...

i'm excited for form too!!!! :) :) and i'm excited to get my recital OVER with haha. and WAY excited about our bible study too!!!!! :D :D thanks for the encouragement!

The Nif said...

I'm excited because I may be writing a fashion column in the Rotunda!
I'm also thrilled about Elementary Methods & Materials - it's going to be so good!!

I highly recommend the Farmer's Market by the train station - there's a really cool lady there with long salt and pepper hair who has cold storage and was able to sell me pink lady apples in early March. Yum!

I love you SO much!

a sunlit dreaming tree said...

that's wonderful, jenni! :) let me know how it goes!!

last week at camp, i actually took a class about how to live green and farmers markets were a HUGE part of that. did i tell you that? i can't remember...but it's awesome that farmville's got one! i feel a date coming on haha :)