2.21.2009

these are a few of my fav things.

I did this once in high school, but I think it would be theraputic if I did it again--something tells me it's just a good idea.

So. I'm going to list my favorite things about life, the world, whatever. Things that make me appreciate life. And I'm going to enjoy them. In doing this, I'm going to be reminding myself why life is still okay when everything that was comfortable has swirled into a blurry mess.

My iPod, that I bought with my own hard-earned money (this includes the convenience of iTunes). Sweatpants. Warm, soft, fluffy comforters. Paintings that have lots of blue and yellow in them or paintings of landscapes, especially at night. Music freakin' theory. Swimming and the way the water feels on my skin and the way it sounds when it's rushing past my ears and the bouyancy I feel in it--like it's my best friend, holding me up when everything else around me makes me want to sink. Going to the gym--not only do I feel sexier when I'm fitting into my pants, but I also love the high you get when you're done working out...and there are hot boys there sometimes, which is just the lettering on the icing on the cake. Sweaters...warm, fuzzy ones. Sea breezes. THE OUTER BANKS--who wants to go next summer?? Graduation!! Collages...they're soothing. Wearing sweats so often that it makes the days you actually try to look good that much better. Boys who like you in your sweatpants. Being barefoot. Long, hot baths with candles. Drinking water. Drinking soda. A nice glass of wine. Summer nights. Watching the sun set/rise. The feeling of laying in the grass and making shapes out of clouds in the summertime. Spending time with the people I love and the people who love me for me...including all the crazy and ugly parts. The feeling you get when you listen to a song for the first time and fall in love. Live music. Finding one person in the midst of a crowd that you connect with, even/especially if you don't know them. Spinning around. Dance parties in my underwear. Buying new underwear because I feel like it, not because someone else is going to see them. Head scratches. Laying in bed and feeling completely comfortable. Waking up actually rested (haven't had that happen in a while). Meditation/yoga. Green tea, especially from Panera. Really delicious fruit. Long drives to nowhere in particular. Driving with your arm out of the window. Coaching swimming. Teaching music. Moments where words are completely inadequate. Remembering all the fun things I've done in college that tend to get lost in the daily clutter. Spending time in Charlottesville. Realizing that the rest of my life is MINE and I can do whatever fits me. Fingerpainting. Being the kid that stuck their face in the rice box because they liked the smell and the feel of it on my face (It was really cold!!). Laughter (it really is the best medicine...). The feeling of music coarsing through your body and it escaping through your movement when you can't contain it in your frame any longer. Finding a new artist (music or otherwise). Saying what you feel like saying. Not living your life for anyone else. Reconnecting with people from an earlier time in your life. Spontaneity (I'm learning to love it more and more with each passing day!). Watching sports (especially football, lacrosse, basketball, and swimming!). Really delicious Mexican food (aka La Parota). A good margarita. Looking at photographs. The Redskins. University of Virginia. Learning something new everyday. Smiling just because you can. Making someone else's day better by bettering your own. Learning to love yourself one day at a time. Taking walks. Wearing skirts when there's a gentle breeze and you're not sure if it's gonna fly up or not so it's like a game of hide and go seek with your undies! Wearing skirts in general is fun, too...but not the really short kind or the jean kind or the longer kind, but the clothy knee length wrinkly kind that goes well with WalMart rip offs of Birks. Mojitos are pretty great, too. Scrapbooking, sometimes. Being in a good mood for no real reason.

I think that's enough for now. I'm learning to love myself again. I'm learning to live my own life without the excuse of having someone else give me worth by loving me in return. I can do this.

2 comments:

The Nif said...

You are such an inspiration to me, and you always have been.
I love you, so much :)
Jenni

Allyson said...

I can't believe how optimistic you are - it's really motivating me to be a happier person. You have an excuse to be upset right now, and you're fighting it. I really admire that, and I really want to be more that way.

You are cool. The end.