9.04.2009

then sings my soul...

...and oh, how it is singing...in a way that it hasn't sung in a very, very long time. Not a purely happy tune...but one laced with sorrow, realism, humility, and the realization that God is securely working out His plan in the world...bringing hope and peace to people each and every day through fleshy flabby vessels like you and me. How awesome that God uses the mundane, the ordinary, and the seemingly unimportant to change the lives of others and the world around us!

After attending Dr. Cole's memorial service and hearing the list of his service accomplishments, I began thinking about what will be said at my own funeral...which, by the way, we will all experience some day. My failed past relationships will not make that list. My lonely moments, my depression, my holding on to unrealistic expectations and materialistic impulses will fade...and all that will be left is what I did for others to better their lives and the world.

"All that matters is faith expressing itself through love."

I called Cory tonight...and cleared the air. Sure, it sucks to see him with a girlfriend, but I've got plenty of other options (when the time is right). And in the end...it won't matter. Cory will not matter to me in the grand scheme of my life except to have served as a chapter in the growth of my spirit...even if it was a painful growth spurt. I'm not who I was before our relationship, and I truly appreciate the fact that the pain I endured has strengthened me and refined my view of life. I am not perfect, and we don't live in a perfect world, but every time we are kind, every time we take care of someone else, every time we smile at strangers and share our lives within our communities, we are bringing about God's kingdom here on Earth. We're living life the way it was meant to be lived...in community and in sharing deep and abiding love with our neighbors as well as in our own lives.

I am so blessed. I may not enjoy what I'm doing all the time, or being poor, or working my butt off and receiving very little public recognition, but my karma level is increasing daily, and I am changing my community and my world...and MYself.

How are you working to affect change in your own community, your own world, your own self?

No comments: