10.04.2010

zumba, or how i learned to love myself.

I started going to Zumba class when Patsy suggested I do it about 1.5 months ago.  Back up...Zumba is a Latin dance class on steroids-it includes a lot of aerobics and toning exercises, and it kicks.my.butt.  Literally, my heart rate reaches 190 and my face is red, and I can't cool down for an hour or so after the class is over.  It's awesome.

I've lost a good amount of weight doing this class, although that wasn't necessarily my goal.  I've always loved dancing, but I'm really pretty uncoordinated.  I've got rhythm (I'm a licensed music teacher for goodness sakes), but translating that to body movement leaves me giggling and acting a fool.  Until now.  I still can't dance all that great, but I've learned most of the moves for this class, and I'm learning how to move my body and be graceful and intentional about it at the same time.  While I wouldn't do the moves I'm doing in this class in church, I sometimes thank God for the wonderful gift of dance, of stress relief, and of healthy living that this class has given me right as I'm shaking my butt to Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber.  I love how I feel after class, and I love that I'm never self-conscious during class.  The entire class is middle-aged plus women who yell, whoop, holler, and enjoy themselves for an hour, letting go of inhibitions and genuinely doing something good for themselves.  We're a little community within the Y, and I'm so glad that I've found these women to spend 2 hours a week with.  Really...as simple as it was to get up this morning and go to an exercise class, you wouldn't think it would have such an impact on my life and my self-esteem...but it has.  I love the way I look-dropping 13 pounds has done wonders for my health (haven't gotten sick yet) and my self-esteem.  I now no longer feel like I can't break it down in the middle of a crowded room--I've discovered that dancing is a new love of mine, and I don't even feel like I'm working out (okay, I do, but it's not unpleasant at all).

I love that I feel like I can finally appreciate who I am and who God created me to be.  Zumba didn't do all of this by any means, but it certainly hasn't hindered the process any.  I feel so good right now. :)  Things aren't necessarily roses in the rest of my life, but during these two hour periods of my week, I feel like everything is okay.  Zumba+swimming=time to think (or not!), and that's exactly what the doctor ordered.  That and I look super awesome in my leggings.  So.  Positives all around. :)

For the first time in my life this year, I've been able to say I love myself and that my feelings about who I am and what I look like are not based on anyone else's opinions...it's all mine, baby, and I'm loving every second of it. :)

No comments: